We have gathered what we think are 20 iPhone/iPad Apps That Any Graphic Designer Should Own. Now, we all know that Apple is more suitable than any other computer for the design related fields. Therefore, below you’ll see some extremely useful and great apps that will make your work a lot easier.
Can’t carry your Mac everywhere? No problem, the apps that we’ve selected provide you with the necessary tools and means to ensure the handling even of the most complex tasks. You’ll see photo editors, drawing apps, font recognition, brushes, HTML clean sheets and many more. Nevertheless, enjoy, be inspired and if you will like this article, then please share it with your friends or community! Many thanks! Cheers!
Respect our work! Don’t copy our articles!
Layers is a natural media painting app for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Built on the feedback of hundreds of mobile artists, Layers packs in everything you need to be creative on the go. Whether you’re an experienced iPhone artist or a creative user looking to doodle, Layers is for you!
– A clean, intuitive painting interface
– Two fingered pan and pinch to zoom
– Double-tap for quick zooming
– Square and 3:2 rectangular canvas sizes
– Ten high-quality brushes
– Up to five paintable layers per drawing
– Paint brush, smudge tool, and eraser
– Full featured eyedropper tool
– Precisely adjustable brush sizes up to 64px
– Large color picker that saves recent colors
– Full support for brush transparency
– Generous undo history that is saved on exit
– Email as JPG or PSD file with layers
– Replay drawings using Mac OS X viewer
– Export high-res drawings using Mac OS X viewer
Brushes was used to create the cover of the June 1, 2009 issue of The New Yorker and it’s a painting application designed from scratch for the iPhone and iPod touch.
– High-quality brushes (with an erase mode)
– Layers (rearrange, merge, fill with a color, and adjust transparency)
– Copy and Paste layers between paintings
– Import multiple photos as layers
– Desktop-class color picker
– Extremely responsive zooming from 70% to 1600%
– Eyedropper tool
– Generous level of undo and redo
– Slideshow mode
– Built in web server (download paintings to any computer)
Draw Pad Pro ($1.99)
Draw Pad Pro is designed as a beautiful and innovative way to create and manage all your notes, sketches, scribbles, and more. The app takes advantage of new iOS 5 technology to offer an experience unseen in other note-taking or drawing apps.
Choose from 45 vibrant colors for your pen, and 6 different sizes. Zoom in with a pinch of the fingers for greater control and detail. Photos can be sized, rotated, and added to the canvas as you see fit (unlock-able from within application).
Export entire notebooks or single pages with the push of a button. Notebooks you create can be printed directly from your device, emailed as a PDF file, or exported to a third party application such as Dropbox or GoodReader
Adobe Photoshop Express ($4.99)
Top editing features:
• Basics: Crop, Straighten, Rotate, and Flip
• Color: Exposure, Saturation, Tint, Black and White, and Contrast
• Filters: Sketch, Soft Focus, and Sharpen
• Effects: Vibrant, Pop, Border, Vignette Blur, Warm Vintage, Rainbow, White Glow, and Soft Black and White
• Borders: Rectangle, Rounded, Oval, Soft Edge, Vignette, Rough Edge, Halftone, Film Emulsion and 22 new borders and frames that can be purchased.
What The Font (Free)
Identify the fonts in a photo or web graphic!
Ever seen a great font in a magazine ad, poster, or on the web and wondered what font it is? Whip out your iPhone and snap a photo, and WhatTheFont will identify that font in seconds!
* Snap a photo right within the app
* Choose saved photos from the Photo Library
* On-device image processing optimizes upload for speed and accuracy
* View font details within the app
* Send e-mail summaries of search results, complete with font previews
HTML Cheat Sheet ($0.99)
Even seasoned web developers need a quick refresher course in HTML details from time to time. The HTML Cheat Sheet for iPhone and iPod Touch is designed to address that need. Use it as a quick reference for topics you’ve already learned but need a few reminders on, or if you’re still a beginner to HTML, use it to better understand what HTML is capable of.
Filterstorm has been designed from the ground up to meet your iPad and iPhone photo editing needs. Using a uniquely crafted touch interface, Filterstorm allows for more intuitive editing than its desktop counterparts with a toolset designed for serious photography.
• Layers (Max 5 at a time. When a 6th is added, the bottom two layers will be automatically merged)
• Ability to apply adjustments to entire image, by brush, gradient, color range, vignette, or selecting opacity.
• Send images via Email, FTP,SFTP, Flickr, Dropbox, Twitter, and Facebook
• Export high-res images. Suggested max: 22MP (iPad2/iPhone4S), 7.5MP (iPhone 4), 5MP (iPad 1)
• Save edits as automations to apply to other images
• Edit masks with brushes (adjustable size, softness, and opacity)
• Edit masks with gradients
• Edit masks by color selection
• Edit masks by vignette
• Curves: Luminance, RGB, Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow
• Levels tool: Luminance, RGB, Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow
• Color balance
• White point picker
• Text tool
• Black and white fine-tuning
• Image editing History
• Cropping, with the ability to specify aspect ratio
• Scaling/Scale to Fit
• Rotation & Image Straightening
• Add Borders
• Combine multiple exposures
• Vignetting (circular, or oval scaled to image aspect ratio)
• Tone map (Simulated HDR)
• Noise reduction
• Add noise
• Clone Tool
• Numerous layer blend modes
• EXIF support for JPEG and some RAWs
SketchBook Pro for iPad ($3.99)
Autodesk SketchBook® Pro for iPad is a professional-grade paint and drawing application.
Canvas size: 1024 x 768
• 6 layers on iPad 1
• 12 layers on iPad 2
• 18 layers on 3rd Gen iPad
Canvas size 2048 x 1536
• 4 layers on iPad 2
• 6 layers on 3rd Gen iPad
• Two finger pan & zoom navigation with 2500% zoom
• Three finger tap for controls
• Three finger swipe gestures for quick access
✓High Quality Brushes and Tools:
• Professional grade paint engine delivers smooth and precise brush strokes
• More than 60 preset brushes, including pencils, pens, markers and natural media
• Install more than 90 additional brushes and stamps brushes from the in-app Store
• Completely customizable brush settings for each brush
• Draw styles for creating straight lines, rectangles, and circles
• Synthetic pressure sensitivity (brush fade-off)
• Undo/Redo – 10 levels Gen 1 iPad 1 – 20 levels iPad 2 – 30 levels 3rd gen iPad
• Dynamic symmetric drawing
FTP On The Go PRO ($8.99)
An FTP client for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. View and edit HTML/CSS/JS/PHP/ASP, or other files on your server with its built in editor to change your website from anywhere. View images and documents (JPG, PDF, DOC, XLS, PPT, etc) too.
The most beautiful note taking app ever designed for the iPad. Noteshelf is the handwriting note taker that features super natural digital ink, a stunning UI and a comprehensive toolset that will increase the benefits of owning an iPad by leaps and bounds.
Customize your notebooks
Comprehensive editing tools
Share your notes
Air Sharing for iPad ($6.99)
The most powerful way to view your documents on the go.
Create a wireless hard disk
Many file formats supported
Connect to your computer
Mount remote file servers
View and download email attachments
Perform advanced file operations
Share files with other users
FX Photo Studio ($0.99)
The best collection of photo effects and filters on the App Store.
Over 190 eye-popping photo effects and filters:
• Black & White
• Color Strokes
• Overlays and more
Save web pages for later offline reading, optimized for readability on your iPhone or iPod touch’s screen. Featured by Apple and critically acclaimed by top blogs, newspapers, and magazines!
– Saves most web pages as text only, stripping away the full-sized layout to optimize for the iPhone and iPad screens
– Distraction-free reading environment gets out of your way so you can focus on the content
– Everything you download is then available **OFFLINE**, so you can read whenever you want, even on airplanes, subways, or Wi-Fi-only devices away from internet connections
Fonts Preview ($0.99)
This app allows developers to preview the fonts available in iOS 4 and later
This contains all the available fonts for each version of the OS and now you can try any text you wish to preview it in these fonts and also try out the different sizes.
Need to create a quick diagram, process chart, page layout, website wireframe, or graphic design? With OmniGraffle, your iPad touch screen is your canvas (or graph paper, or whiteboard, or cocktail napkin…).
OmniGraffle knows what makes a diagram different from a drawing, so it knows how to help you make superior documents quickly: it keeps lines connected to shapes even when they’re moved, it provides stencils full of objects for you to drag and drop, and it can magically organize diagrams so your ideas come to life.
– Use built-in stencils or draw customizable shapes
– Freehand sketch directly onto your canvas
– Touch and drag to connect shapes together
– Touch “lay out now” to automatically arrange your diagram
– Smart guides help you align, rotate, and size objects
– Create multiple page (“canvas”) documents
– Share items between your canvases with shared layers
– Wrap text to fit within a shape
– View what styles make up a shape in your diagram
– Select a whole class of objects at once to make changes
– Choose colors from built-in themes
– Create custom colors with support for HSB, RGB, and grayscale
– Create linear and radial fills, blending up to three colors with customizable centers and angles
– Set stroke/line thickness, color, and customize line styles
– Create transparent shape shadows which fall on objects or layers that are behind it
– Define shadow blur/sharpness, transparency, color, and position
– Pinch to zoom in and out
– Combine any two shapes in your document into a table
– Share native OmniGraffle documents via email, or email as a scalable PDF
– Save documents as a graphic in your Photos library
Color Splash ($0.99)
Selected by Apple for the App Store Hall of Fame, ColorSplash™ lets you quickly and easily give photos a dramatic look by converting them to black and white, while keeping your chosen details in color. This effect draws the viewers’ attention to the colored areas, creating striking images.
Inducted into the Apple “App Hall of Fame”, NY Times “Top 10 Must-Have Apps”, Winner: TechCrunch Crunchies, Mashable Award and the Webbys.
Evernote helps millions worldwide remember anything and everything that happens in their lives. Use Evernote to take notes, save interesting web pages, create to-dos and shopping lists, attach images and PDFs, and so much more. Then, watch as it all instantly synchronizes from your Mac to your smartphone, tablet and the Web, allowing you to find your memories at any time from anywhere.
Adobe Revel (Free for 30 days)
Adobe Revel (formerly Adobe Carousel) requires a subscription. Get the app and then start your free 30-day subscription or start a monthly subscription for $5.99/month.
Adobe Revel is a photography app for the Mac, iPad, and iPhone that has:
+ One place for all your photos.
+ An amazing cloud service that syncs everything you do in Revel across your devices – effortlessly.
+ Powerful and fun editing tools you can use to make your photos look better.
Advanced PS: Pro Tips For Photo editing, Graphic Design & Digital Art. PS Touch, CS4, CS5 & CS6 users
Advanced Photoshop is the perfect magazine for honing already great Photoshop skills. Each issue is packed full of inspiring interviews and challenging tutorials, tailor-made for the more advanced digital artist. Whether you’re a Photoshop professional or simply aspiring to be one, Advanced Photoshop will help you perfect your art.
You never know where you are going to find the perfect color. With Loupe you can capture your color inspirations so you don’t have to try and guess what that shade was when you are back at your computer. Simple and thoughtfully designed, Loupe lets you create color swatches from your photo library or using the camera to save colors as you find them. Perfect for web designers, graphic artists, interior decorators, artists, scrapbookers, and anyone who loves color.
Air Display ($8.99)
Ever wish you had an extra display for your Mac or Windows computer? There’s an app for that! Air Display turns your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch into a wireless display, to extend or mirror your computer screen.
Air Display not only gives you a wireless computer screen extender, but also works as a tablet input device. You can use your finger to draw directly on the screen’s surface. Try it with a calculator, painting tool, or music control surface! Simple gestures allow you to operate the right mouse button and scroll wheel.
Keynote is the most powerful presentation app ever designed for a mobile device. Built from the ground up for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, it makes creating a world-class presentation — complete with animated charts and transitions — as simple as touching and tapping. Highlight your data with stunning 3D bar, line, area, and pie charts, animated with new 3D chart builds such as Crane, Grow, Radial, and Rotate. Use full-screen view to present right on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. Or use video mirroring to present on an HDTV, and preview your slides and notes on your device using the Presenter Display. The Retina display on the new iPad makes everything you do in Keynote even more brilliant. Keynote works with iCloud, so your presentations stay up to date on all your iOS devices — automatically.